Monday 25 June 2012

Dreamgirls Review

I watched this on telly last night cos I was bored & there was nothing else on, so I figured I should review this considering it's technically a musical, even if it's a film.
Cast: Beyonce Knowles, Jennifer Hudson, Jamie Foxx, Eddie Murphy, Danny Glover, Anika Noni Rose
Rating: *****
This film is just pure magic & actually works as a film adaptation as the actors can sing in this, unlike some other musical films I've seen *cough, Phantom 2004 film, which I personally hate with a passion, cough* & Jennifer Hudson (in her film debut, I must add since I also watched her in the Sex and the City film) is definitely a major highlight, belting out those final notes meaningfully in 'And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going' & making me laugh with her portrayal as the plump diva Effie White, who ends up being fired due to her behaviour & missing rehearsals from the group The Dreamettes after being replaced by Deena Jones (Knowles) as the lead singer. She also proved she had better acting skills, after that rubbish Pink Panther film with Steve Martin & her song in Act 2 'Listen' written for the film, definitely showed Deena's empowerment over her manipulative husband, Curtis, a record dealer for Rainbow Records who's also the father of Effie's child Magic, who she has after she leaves Deena and the Dreams, also leaving her brother C.C after he accepts the change within the group. The song 'Listen' also gives us an opportunity to see what Beyonce is really capable of singing, emotionally & her vocal range, in my opinion.
Anika Noni Rose also gives a funny & sweet portrayal as Lorelle, who has an affair with James 'Thunder' Early. However, I think she's way underused & doesn't even have a solo, which I think she should have because she has a very pretty, yet strong voice.Also, I thought Eddie Murphy was a highlight for me with his comedy within the film, also showing his rather amazing singing skills which I didn't think he had within himself. One other point I must add is the costumes used are magnificent, especially the ones used in the Deena & the Dreams performances, with the set designs making me feel like I was watching a stage show instead of a film which really suited the image of the Dreamettes/Deena and the Dreams as glamorous & sophisticated, just like the film overall. 

No comments:

Post a Comment