Wednesday 11 July 2012

Top 5 Favourite Sweeney Todds!

1) 1982 tour Sweeney Todd George Hearn. He's perfect as Sweeney & has an amazing voice, especially during Epiphany & A Barber & His Wife, with his acting skills being amazing, especially after he finds out about his wife's rape & Johanna being Judge Turpin's ward. Also, his appearance  as Sweeney in the 2000 concert with Patti LuPone was amazing, especially his face during the Johanna quartet when the family watch him shaving, which made the show!

2) Original Broadway Sweeney Todd, Len Cariou. He's so subtle with his grief for the loss of his wife & daughter, as well as his want for revenge of Judge Turpin & I personally think he has the best rendition of the Johanna quartet. I honestly think he's the best Sweeney Todd vocally!

3) Les Miz star & 2012 London revival Sweeney Todd Michael Ball! His voice is so suiting for the role, I didn't even recognise him when I first heard him singing Epiphany & he sounds so amazing during My Friends!







4) 2005 Broadway revival Todd, Michael Cerveris. The clarity of his voice is amazing & it's interesting to listen to him since I think he's quite different to some other actors who have played him & his rendition of Epiphany is really different but in a positive way!

5) 2007 film Sweeney Todd, Johnny Depp! Collaborating with Tim Burton for the film, I was surprised he was able to sing & act in the role, considering he's a Hollywood heartthrob & a rather handsome Sweeney! At first I was rather sceptacle about him in the role since he's the lead in nearly every Tim Burton film & worrying it was just another one. Then again, he was nominated for an Oscar & a Golden Globe for his performance!

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea that Sweeney Todd was a musical until I opened one of my blue Blockbuster @Home envelopes and popped in Tim Burton’s version of Sweeney Todd into my DVD player. I was shocked to find that Johnny Depp can even sing! I asked one of my co-workers at Dish about the film and she went on to share with me that it was a remake. I’ve since been finding all that I can about older renditions of the film, and this site has been a huge help. I’ll be adding several versions of Sweeney Todd to my Blockbuster @Home queue; luckily, they have a huge and eclectic selection of titles so I’ll be able to rent quite a few different versions. Thanks again, I’ll have to keep my eyes open for live performance in my area.

    ReplyDelete