Monday 9 July 2012

Top 5 Best & Worst Raouls in Phantom (including LND Raouls!)

Top 5 Best Raouls
1) 25th Anniversary Raoul Hadley Fraser! He was amazing portraying Raoul, not making him as drippy as some other actors who have played him! He brought so much emotion during the Final Lair scene & actually sounded like he wanted to save his love, even if he showed a forceful & vengeful side to Raoul during the second Notes scene & before Don Juan Triumphant, as well as making Christine seem crazy just before All I Ask Of You. However, this doesn't stop me from being in Team Phantom!




2) Current London Raoul Killian Donnelly! To me, he's one of the more handsome Raouls & would probably be the only one, other than Hadley, who I'd leave the Phantom for (which I really wouldn't because of the Phantom's charms!) One other reason is cos I saw him as Enjolras in Les Mis, which I absolutely loved him in & I loved the John vs. Killian videos!



3) Original London & Broadway Raoul & eventually Phantom, Steve Barton! His original portrayal is much better than actors who've made Raoul foppish & drippy, since he makes him a caring man who loves Christine. R.I.P forever Steve! <3







4) UK tour & previous London Raoul, Simon Bailey! I saw him a couple of years ago as Raoul in London & he brought so much passion & emotion to the character, as well as showing his love for Christine during All I Ask Of You, also showing Raoul's protective side!






5) Australian Love Never Dies Raoul, Simon Gleeson! His portrayal was much better than David Thaxton's poratrayal in the London production & showed much more emotion & love towards Christine, instead of making him a drunken bastard, especially after Devil Take The Hindmost when he shows fear of losing Christine!



I would've added Ramin Karimloo onto the list, but to me he'll always be my Phantom & I didn't want to think of him as a character who I hate for ruining the Phantom & Christine's love! I also would've added Michael Ball, but to me he's my Marius!
Top 5 Worst Raouls! (with 1 for who I hate the least & 5 for who I hate the most!)
1) John Cudia, mainly because he bores me to the core & makes Raoul drippy & a poshy!







2) Sean MacLaughlin, mainly because he makes Raoul sound narcissistic during his reunion with Christine & careless towards Christine & is just boring & portrays Raoul as selfish & possessive of Christine & creates a rival out of the Phantom for Christine's love.






3) Adam Monley, mainly because he was generally boring & annoying as Raoul, making seem like a plank of wood & didn't show any urgency during the Final Lair scene & didn't show a lot of love towards Christine.

4) Love Never Dies Raoul, Joseph Millson, mainly because he portrayed Raoul as a drunken, careless man who shows no love for his wife & 'son' & doesn't even think about losing Christine during Devil Take The Hindmost, since he only wanted Christine for his own personal gain, instead of love & to prove to the Phantom he will always win!





5) 2004 film Raoul, Patrick Wilson. His portrayal was as if it was from a high school play & made Raoul so soppy & annoying & very girly, with his stupidly long hair. Also, I thought he made Raoul such a weakling (just like his singing voice) in certain parts, especially during the Final Lair scene (despite the fact he saved himself from drowning easily) & made him such a 'pretty-boy' (to me he looked like the Prince from Beauty & the Beast at the end) & rather foppish during the first Notes scene & tried too hard to be a knight in shining armour during the sword fight in the graveyard scene.

2 comments:

  1. So Patrick Wilson was good looking as Raoul. Dude, That is a good thing, not a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simon Bailey would be my number 1 Hadley Frasier's was just meh to me when I hear both men's performances back to back when Simon says the line it is to be war between us he sounds a little more like you are a dead man Hadley Frasier's performance reminded me of a robot kind of. It was just ok where as Simon was brilliant! 😊 Plus I think Simon looks like a Disney prince he's very handsome 😊💗👍😊

    ReplyDelete