Tuesday 20 March 2012

Oliver! Review

Here's my first review of the UK tour of the smash hit Oliver!

Oliver!
Rating: *****
Starring: Neil Morrissey, Samantha Barks, Iain Fletcher, Sebastian Croft (from when I saw it)
Cameron Mackintosh's new and spectacular version of Lionel Bart's classic adaptation of the Charles Dickens' novel Oliver Twist, was a real treat for me and my aunt (I went to Manchester for the week to see my family during half-term). All of the classic well-known tunes remained intact including Oom-Pah-Pah!, Food Glorious Food and of course Consider Yourself! The performance was amazing from start to finish and it was clear how much of an effort everyone had put in to make this amazing show appeal to an audience of children and adults alike. Neil Morrissey's (well known for being in Men Behaving Badly, but to a younger generation as Bob the Builder!) interpretation of comedian villain Fagin was a funny one indeed, referencing his past career in Men Behaving Badly and Bob the Builder, being a very convincing old aged pickpocket scoundrel, making a laugh-out-loud moment during his 'Reviewing the Situation' scene. Samantha Barks was certainly a treat for me to watch as the cockney tart-with-a-heart Nancy, with her wit and sympathy winning everyone over, especially during the coveted song 'As Long as He Needs Me', lamenting over her lover, the abusive Bill Sykes.

This, to me was also a personal triumph, as I saw her as Eponine in Les Miserables a year prior in London and meeting her afterwards and I must say, she is such a lovely young woman, who deserves to be given acclaim for this role. Iain Fletcher certainly played a rather terrifying and evil Bill Sykes, especially during the death of Nancy, being driven into madness and his song 'What's My Name.' Sebastian Croft as Oliver was certainly a crowd pleaser with his cuteness and sadness during the song 'Where is Love?' nearly driving me to tears! Will Edden as the Artful Dodger was also a delight to watch, with 'Consider Yourself' being the main highlight of the show, with the scene transitions of different areas of London and the cast team had sung and danced their hearts out. The set was fantastic, making me forget I was watching a show rather than a film and the choreography being thorough and thought out. Jack Edwards also made a comedic character out of Mr Bumble, who sells Oliver from the workhouse he was born in, beginning the adventure for an orphan who discovers his past while in the city of London. This show is amazing and is a triumph, and it made me laugh, cry and smile the whole way through!  Also, I was given the opportunity to meet Neil Morrissey after the show and he was a lovely person to meet!


No comments:

Post a Comment